Selecting the right paving contractor
Hiring the right contractor can mean the difference between a structurally sound and aesthetically pleasing surface that will stand the test of time or a disappointing substandard surface that will sag and deteriorate quickly after the first big rains of the season.
Here are our tips to assist you in selecting the right contractor:
- Ask for references and take the time to look at the contractor’s work yourself.
- Ask for a written quotation and make sure to discuss your expectations with the contractor on site. Any reputable contractor will be happy to explain the paving process to you so that you know what to expect. It is important when comparing quotations that you are comparing apples with apples – what happens below the paving is just as important as the paving finish. If a contractor does not specify excavation, bedding layers and proper compaction it is likely that he hasn’t quoted for it.
- Check if your contractor is insured. IOD Claims or unforeseen damages to your property could become your problem if your contractor is not insured and cannot afford to compensate you for damages. When accidents happen on your property you want to be protected as much as possible.
- Insist on a signed contract between yourself and the contractor that clearly stipulates the job cost, payment terms, details of the project and warranty terms and conditions.
- Obtain samples of the paving blocks to be used to ensure that the quality is to your satisfaction.
- Ask the contractor about the quality of the machinery and equipment he will be using on your premises. Machines that frequently breakdown can delay the completion of your paving project.
- Ask if there will be a foreman on site and if there will be adequately trained staff.
Remember, you get what you pay for. Saving a few hundred rands in the short term may cost you thousands of rand in the long term.
Experience, reputation and accountability should be the deciding factors when choosing a contractor.